Gratitude and impulses

Hello :smile:

I have read all the Seth books so far minus the early sessions and the personal ones. It is obviously a slow progress as I like to put the books down for a few days in between just to relish and experience what I have so far learnt! And two areas I’m experiencing and experimenting with at the moment is gratitude and impulses. (Chris if you want me to separate the two into different topics left me know but I think there is a relevancy between the two)

In regards to gratitude, does anyone have any quotes/excerpts they can share in relation to it?
I’m currently working on a gratitude journal where every day I write down what I am grateful for (physical and the not yet manifested) and experience the emotions that follow. So far, I feel this exercise alone brings about clarity and a sense of connection with nature which brings about feelings of excitement, joy and inspiration! Has anyone else done something similar?

In relation to impulses - I’ve had a few opportunities come up that I know have the potential to bring me closer to what I have been focusing on creating. Sometimes these opportunities feel scary and a lot of fear and doubt pops up, even though I feel that to jump into the deep end is what I’m meant to do, this is what feels so right! So when Seth said we have to not only imaginatively focus on what we wish to create but also take action towards that goal is that similar to what I’m referring to as impulses?

2 Likes

“Ruburt followed his impulses and interpreted your dreams — all of which led you both into fresh creative activity. But it was not work, you see. What he needed to do was really relax, not prove that he could or should or must immediately begin another book. TRUE CREATIVITY COMES FROM ENJOYING THE MOMENTS, WHICH WILL THEN FULFILL THEMSELVES, AND A PART OF THE CREATIVE PROCESS IS INDEED THE ART OF RELAXATION, THE LETTING GO, FOR THAT TRIGGERS MAGICAL ACTIVITY, and that is what Ruburt must learn.”

The Magical Approach Session 1 page 8

Thank you Still.
So basically, in possibly simpler terms, following impulses is not the effort type of action we normally relate to it, in fact it’s not something we really have to analyze but it’s those spontaneous urges we feel when we are just enjoying the moment, so ‘action’ done out of enjoyment, and quite effortless really?

Just trying to process it in my own way.

What do you think of yourself, your daily life, your body, your relationship with others? Ask yourself these questions. Write down the answers or speak them into a recorder. But in one way or another objectify them.

When you feel the rise of unpleasant emotions, take a moment and make an effort to identify their source. The answers are far more available than you may have previously believed. Accept such feelings as your own in the moment. Do not shove them underneath, ignore them or try to substitute what you think of as good thoughts.

First be aware of the reality of your feelings. As you become more aware of your beliefs over a period of time, you will see how they bring forth certain feelings automatically.

The Nature of Personal Reality (Kindle Locations 4380-4386).

Ruburt advised Andrea to accept the validity of such feelings as feelings — not to inhibit them, but to follow their flow with the understanding that they are feelings about reality. As themselves they are real. They express emotional reactions to beliefs. The next time Andrea feels inadequate, for example, she is to actively experience that feeling, realizing that even though she feels inferior this does not mean that she is inferior. She is to say, “I feel inferior,” and at the same time to understand that the feeling is not a statement of fact but of emotion. A different kind of validity is involved.

The Nature of Personal Reality (Kindle Locations 4545-4550).

No feeling brings you to a dead end. It is in motion, and that always leads into another feeling. As it flows it alters your entire physical condition, and that interchange is meant to be consciously accepted. Your emotions will always lead you into a realization of your beliefs if you do not impede them.

The Nature of Personal Reality (Kindle Locations 4590-4592).

2 Likes

Thank you Chris!
And it’s funny because I often get the impulse to write down my feeling about certain events or situations and just brush it off, so I’m definitely being told something!!

2 Likes

Also, would you agree that just because an opportunity feels scary on the surface, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not the right thing to do?

And another thing I’ve just noticed. Seth also says that we can only focus on one thing at a time so to focus on your accomishments rather than your failures brings about a kind of unknotting of the problem. This kind of contradicts the excerpt above because the excerpt sais to kind of lean into the feelings even if they are ‘negative’. I’m now a bit confused?

Would the approach be different according to the context?

2 Likes

The above is about acknowledging your “negative” feelings and following them to your beliefs so that you may change your beliefs. This acknowledgement deflates them of their energy, and realizing that feeling it doesn’t make it true also puts your focus in the right place. It is not about focusing on those feelings (or beliefs).

That is why you ask yourself and learn why you feel that way. If it feels scary because you’re deeply convinced it is scary you should probably figure out those beliefs. We’re not talking about something difficult here.

So one of the most hampering beliefs of all, as earlier mentioned (in the 614th session in Chapter Two, for instance), is the idea that the clues to current behavior are buried and usually inaccessible. This belief itself closes to you the contents of your own conscious mind and prevents you from looking there for the answers that are available.

The Nature of Personal Reality (Kindle Locations 1525-1527).

1 Like

"If you do not trust the nature of your impulses, then you do not trust the nature of your life, the nature of the universe, or the nature of your own being. Any animal knows better than to distrust the nature of its own life, and so does any infant. Nature exists by virtue of faith. The squirrels gather nuts in the faith that they will have provisions, in the faith that the next season will come, and that spring will follow winter. Your impulses are immersed in the quality called faith, for they urge you into action in the faith [that] the moment for action exists.

Your beliefs must interact with your impulses, however, and often they can erode that great natural beneficial spontaneity that impulses can provide. (Pause.) When I speak of impulses, many of you will automatically think of impulses that appear contradictory or dangerous or “evil” — and that is because you are so convinced of the basic unworthiness of your being. You have every right to question your impulses, to choose among them, to assess them, but you must be aware of them, acknowledge their existence, for they will lead you to your own true nature."

Roberts, Jane (2012-04-26). The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events (A Seth Book) (Kindle Locations 5933-5934). Amber-Allen Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Session 870.

3 Likes