Where is the line drawn between manifestations of belief and accepted root assumptions?

A follow-up, I’ve also found this quote enlightening:

The mechanics are not important, but as dreaming is partially caused by chemical poisons that make dreaming a necessity for physical survival, so there are other mechanisms of this kind that are actually doorways, built within and natural to the physical mechanism, that at the same time necessitate experience upon other fields of reality.

—TES3 Session 96 October 12, 1964

Physical existence is setup quite specifically for our benefit/growth. It makes sense why we would make it this way in the first place, and choose to be born into it.

Any idea what “chemicals” seth is talking about here, do you think he means byproducts of the body / waste or chemicals from the exterior environment Chris?

Internal.

Now: This extended period, given to waking consciousness without rest periods, builds up chemicals in the blood that are discharged in sleep. But in the meantime they make the body sluggish and retard conscious concentration. The long sleep period to which you are accustomed then does become necessary. A vicious circle then is formed. This forces overstimulations during the night, increasing the body’s work, making it perform continuously over an extended time physical purifications that ideally would be taken care of in briefer periods of rest.

—SS Chapter 8: Session 533, June 1, 1970

1 Like

At certain times throughout my life, I have slept extremely long hours in a day. These periods can last weeks, months, or in a few cases, years. Could you clarify for me why I might require these extra long sleep time - and dream time? I have always had very vivid and often lucid dreams. While I am in one of my " long sleep" rhythms, I often live life through my dreams - enjoying them so much that I prefer them to my physically active times. It’s as if I decide to spend long periods in a library, albeit a “mental” library. If I am interpreting Seth’s quote about needing longer periods of sleep to purge accumulated chemicals being a vicious cycle, I must be on a vicious cycle carousel at these times. Do you, or anyone, have an idea why I may choose to spend so much time on that particular carousel?

I don’t think I can answer your question very well. But I do know it’s common with depression, or could be diet related, and as Seth said, yes, there is a cycle. It can take some determination to break out of that cycle. I have found what often works (and incidentally what works well for completely shifting a sleep schedule) is to begin sleeping anytime you’re tired but only for a maximum of 2 hours (even a few minutes can be quite revitalizing). So your day/night quickly turns into a a series of successive short naps.

This gives your entire circadian rhythm, sleep toxin (not the best word as these are in essence intentional toxins) situation suddenly great flexibility, and then from this flexible pattern you can ease into a sleep pattern more to your liking. (A weird analogy is think of breaking your sleep up into pieces to fit through a small spot, and then reassemble on the other side.)

Shifting from a schedule based, 8 hours a night sleep belief to a organic, need approach is one that I still haven’t found what is ideal for me. And I agree that responding to my own natural rhythm is key. It’s just that, in combination of sorting though some of my non-serving beliefs, some of this sleep is being used to resolve issues that my conscious can’t seem to get a handle on. I’m constantly checking to see if my sleep is a natural response to my body, a break from my waking issues, all the while, while focused on improving my integrity with my inner Self!

1 Like

Thanks, Chris. Actually, since I have been healing a broken ankle for the past week, I am doing as you say: sleeping whenever I’m tired whether it’s night or day. But I usually sleep much more than 2 hours. More like three or four. I’m going to start setting an alarm for two hours later and see what evolves. What fun! A new project!

1 Like