Advanced EEG/Inverted Beta

The researchers also present a visual atlas of brain activity during sleep in healthy individuals, highlighting new features of the sleep EEG - including a predictor of REM sleep - that could be of important use to clinicians and researchers.

They were also able to identify novel features of the sleep EEG, including a trend in which bursting in the low-frequency alpha range, which is not currently used in clinical sleep scoring, predicts the onset of REM sleep by several minutes.

Phil: This low-frequency alpha range patterns are called ā€˜sleep spindlesā€™ and were ignored in scoring most likely due to the noise of the old machine and tough to get a consistent, accurate reading. The following excerpt is based on the current technology at that time but might open some new doors as to what is possible.

1975.11.10 (760: Unpublished)
[Note: The following excerpt is from UR2, Appendix 17. Seth speaking about brain waves.]

The beta waves quicken. They seem to be the official pulses of your civilization, giving precedence to official reality. But, you have little idea that the psyche is inherently able to seek its conscious experience from all of the known ranges, according to the kind of experience chosen at any given ā€œtimeā€.
Beta was not meant to carry the full weight of conscious activity, however. Although, its accelerating qualities can lead to initiations into ā€œhigherā€ realms of consciousness, where, indeed, the brain waves quicken. The other patterns [delta, theta, and alpha] are highly important to physical and mental stability, being very inter-wound with cellular consciousness.

In cases usually called schizophrenic, the beta acceleration is not supported by the stabilizing attributes of the other known frequencies. It is possible, then, for a brain to register all of the known patterns at once, though your machines would note only the predominating rhythm.

A kind of inverted beta pattern, difficult to describe, often appears suddenly in the midst of the other ranges, driving through them, accelerating consciousness to a high degree of creativity. The brain waves, as they are known, are separately registered segments of a greater ā€œwholeā€ kind of consciousness. And, your machines are just as segmented, perceiving only those patterns they were designed to recognize. Other activity escapes them. They can not note the rapidity with which you move through all of the known patterns constantly. This behavior can be learned by anyone willing to take the time and effort. Some courage would also help.

I told you that you flashed in and out of the reality that you {have} known between one moment and the next of the waking day. There are, in your terms, long delta and theta waves that you can not recognize. They are not recorded by your machines because, quite literally, they go in a different, ā€œunofficialā€ direction. Each official waking brain wave is a peak in your world of a far deeper ā€œwaveā€ of other experience and represents your points of continuity.

Each beta wave rides atop the other patterns. In normal sleep, the ā€œconsciousā€ wave rides beneath the others, with the face of consciousness turned inward, so to speak. All the recognized characteristics of consciousness are ā€œinvertedā€, probing other realities than the one you know. They are quite effective and lightning fast. In sleep the beta waves are not turned off ā€“ the ā€œconsciousā€ part of you, with its beta rhythms, is elsewhere.

In these sessions, the full range of brain waves is utilized as you understand them. Here, in a highly creative, disciplined, and yet spontaneous performance, a situation is set up in which knowledge is obtained from the known frequencies, combined so that consciousness can use itself more fully, reaching into many areas closed to one range of consciousness alone. The various diverse, unique characteristics of each level of awareness are given play. In a way this is like an accelerated, chosen, well-organized ā€œconsciousā€ dream venture, in which Ruburt travels through mediums of consciousness until finally he, still being himself, is nevertheless no longer himself but me.

He is combining and alternating frequencies so that he literally brings forth a different creature of consciousness, one that in your terms is not alive, yet one whose very reality straddles the life that you know. The most elemental portions of my reality begin at the furthest reaches of your own.

In sleep your ordinary brain waves as you understand them register a chaotic jungle of experience not normally processed. Biologically or psychically, there is little need for such disorientation. The normal waking consciousness, with its characteristic patterns, can, indeed, follow [into sleep]. A mixture of brain waves would result. Consciousness as you think of it expands tremendously under such conditions. You would follow your own pattern of continuity and understanding, weaving this into the sleep and dream states, forming a ā€œnewā€ pattern that triumphantly combines all, as to some extent this occurs in our sessions.

In an ideal society, each brain wave would be utilized purposefully. You would go to sleep to solve certain problems. [ā€¦] There is an overall general difference, nationally speaking ā€“ that is, people of various nations do differ to some extent in their prevalent brain frequencies. [ā€¦] All in all, however, the beta has predominated and been expected to solve many problems unsuited to its own characteristics.

Despite your reliance upon one range only, your world of consciousness draws heavily upon all of the known wave patterns and from others of which you are unaware.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this extract.
As a long term meditator and writer, I often lay in bed in the early morning or late at night awake in alpha/theta states, where many ideas come to me visually, or as feelings and impressions, that I then turn into articles for the multiple topics that I write on for my various blogs. Sometimes it takes a bit to unpack the data, as it is multidimensional data, not linear, so I have to jot down notes, then go back to the experience to see and feel it from different contrasting perspectives, to get the best use of it, even then I may get like 80% and 20% I forget, but I pick it up next time around the block. I keep repeating this pattern as I write over a week, or even say a month for longer articles, and Iā€™ve noticed my writing and clarity has improved since incorporating this into my daily routines.
This habit also adds to my regular Beta/Alpha state reading of various books and such on whatever topic I am exploring and writing on.

1 Like

Hi Johnny! Interesting and prompts me to let you in on what the next step for me regarding dreaming and further adventures.

Iā€™ve been preparing myself for the next Early Sessions Book 5 where he suggests keeping a voice recorder by the night stand, (or even day time for various hunches and impressions) to record.

What is interesting is nowadays they have voice recognition technology (Dragon software) that can be plugged into a text format and give you a ā€˜ghost writingā€™ without having to listen and pause and type it in ā€˜by earā€™. This includes edits when something said will trigger a further expansive memory sequence, and later comments added throughout.

Iā€™ll keep this thread open for this operation.

1 Like

The problem I find with this in this application, which has interested me as well, is the precision, clarity, and tone of voice (and pacing to a small degree) for computer dictation seldom match up with tone of voice, pacing, precision, and so forth, having just woken up. Simply put the machine learning algorithms are not trained for that context and therefore donā€™t work as good as you would hope.

Dragon and others being meant for transcription also fail to preserve the original sound data. They are also forced to choose a word even if they are uncertain, so information is lost.

Now something like the way Google Voice transcribes voicemails would be perfect for this. And I would like to see that. The darker the text the more certain it is of the transcription. Likewise the words are synced with the audio.

As a programmer and machine learning enthusiast myself I know with certainty that the field has advanced to the point where you could train a model to recognize your voice, even in this context, with astounding accuracy. But this requires that the software be developed with that particular goal in mind.

There are also actually some very, very good generic voice recognition models but Iā€™m not sure of their public availability.

If there is existing software that does what Google Voice does, perhaps for Windows or Android, that would be lovely.

1 Like

Voice recognition is cool and all, but messy and time consuming to set up, and often inaccurate.

I have a small sony personal digital recorder (audio only) that is like the size of my thumb, I use for taking notes on writing when I am out on long walks and often get ideas. (I dont use a phone, which many people do as 1. too big for my pocket when walking 2. too intrusive if someone calls, me time is ā€œmeā€ time)
For dream stuff, I just get a 50 cent notebook, wide open one (big) from the supermarket and keep it next to the bed, when I wake up I write down whatever.

Not into this stuff lately, but as a writer, I keep blank notebooks in every room and notedpads all over the place, so no good idea can escape me.
But find whatever works for you. Cheaper and simpler and more predictable the better imo

1 Like

Some new discoveries regarding this area. Iā€™m going to copy and paste from fans of seth here.

Also a shout out and credit on an important anniversary.

Phil Allen
15 mins
Great Moments in Lucid Dreaming History:
The scientific evidence for lucid dreaming normally starts with the work of Keith Hearne, PhD at the University of Hull (UK) in April 12 1975. Hearne hypothesized that a dreamer could become lucidly aware in a dream and possibly ā€˜signalā€™ his awareness by moving his eyes left to right a predetermined number of times to provide evidence for being consciously aware in the dream state.
Working in the sleep lab with the talented lucid dreamer, Alan Worsley, Hearne captured this eye-signal verification evidence in April 1975 on the rapid eye movement polygraph readout. Separately, Stephen LaBerge, using himself as the lucid dreaming subject in the Stanford sleep lab, captured his first lucid eye-signals in Feb. 1978.
Looking back at that first scientifically acceptable evidence, Keith Hearne said, ā€œIt was like getting signals from another world. Philosophically, scientifically, it was mind blowing.ā€
from Robert Waggonerā€Ž
to
Lucid Dreaming group
6 hrs