From Seth Speaks Changing the Past in Your Mind

While reading this fascinating thread I recalled an excerpt below from Lynda Madden Dahl. You may find it helpful as you work with changing your past. I tried something similar but since I have a bit of a hard time quieting my mind in psy time I simply used vivid imagination thinking that if imagination works outside of psy time to create all of the events in our lives then it should surely work to alter the past in some way. I imagined myself sitting down in the bedroom of my younger self, I recalled my old room, the colours etc. all as vividly as I could. I told her I was her future self and that life was great! I gave this younger self some concrete advice on how to handle and change some issues. Seth said the process to change the past needs to be repeated but I have only done it twice and felt a shift. It’s hard to explain but it feels like the significance of the events are lesser but then I have also not spent any time thinking of them. When they surface the degree of angst I feel will tell me if I need to spend more time on this. I suspect this is the case. But read what Lynda has to say about her approach and how she knew it worked. It’s long but interesting.

CHANGING THE PAST FROM THE PRESENT - Lynda Madden Dahl …………………………………………………………………
In the forties, tuberculosis was still very much a dreaded killer disease. By 1950, at the tail end of my second grade of grammar school, my father was released from a TB sanatorium after having spent six years there, on and off, mostly on, and losing a lung and many ribs to the surgeon’s efforts to save him.
My mother collected my three sisters and me from various temporary housing with aunts and friends (and a Methodist children’s home) around the country where we’d spent the better part of five years while she had worked herself to desperation trying to support four small children and a very sick husband.
When Dad was released from the sanatorium, my mother, a registered nurse, brought us together in a new town where she could be within walking distance of her job at a local hospital. Our new home was a tiny one-and-a-half bedroom apartment over a dilapidated garage whose rickety entrance staircased off a back alley.
The problem arose for me, a sensitive, shy seven-year-old, in the fact that the dilapidated garage was on the back grounds of a splendid house on a street of elegant homes lining the Detroit River, some of which boasted maids and housekeepers. The town seemed overflowing with abundance to my young eyes, its lovely churches on shady streets and children with shiny patent leather shoes and ironed clothing in stark contrast to what I knew of the world.
As long as my new school friends didn’t know the condition of our housing, I felt safe. But one day when I was alone in the apartment, two classmates came for an unexpected visit. My shock was traumatic.
When I heard their feet on the squeaky staircase and their childish voices, I dropped behind a chair in the living room, hidden from the view of the open door. My friends knocked and called my name. I hyperventilated. As they turned to descend into the alley, they talked about our dump of a home, using language only kids can conjure up.
My life changed in that moment. I entered a probability that verified assumptions I held about myself that had no validity whatsoever. I heaped the old beliefs with new ones about my self-worth, my place in life and my apartness, that helped shape my reality for years to come. I didn’t see them as beliefs, I saw them as truths.
I battled with those truths for years, winning some skirmishes, losing others. I knew when I started reading the Seth material that I had to address my limiting beliefs once and for all, because they placed a lid on my potential just as tightly as the screwed-down top of a Bell jar.
Seth gave me knowledge. He told me there are many probabilities surrounding each event I ever experience, and any could have been chosen by me for actualization that day. I simply aligned with the one I did, based on my beliefs and desires of the moment.
Looked at neutrally, as all events could be, it was simply the expression of my thoughts, attitudes and feelings of the time. Other players came into my script, acting out their parts with so much conviction that even I believed them—and I’m the one who not only wrote them into my play, but directed the scene and became the audience who cried at curtain fall.
But, according to Seth, our directorship is open-ended, meaning we can rethink a scene whenever we choose to, and alter its significance dramatically. We can take a stumbling block to our happiness or fulfillment and make it the growth path to our future.
Seth says, “The fact remains that there are probable past events that ‘can still happen’ within your personal previous experience. A new event can literally be born in the past—now…. A new belief in the present can cause changes in the past…. When you alter your beliefs today you also reprogram your past.” At another point he says, "To rid yourself of annoying restrictions then…you re-pattern your past from the present."
So, here’s what I did, and it may have been the most important process of my life. In an altered state of consciousness, or Psy-Time, I re-created the scene and played out the event just as it had occurred, except I inserted today’s self into the picture.
Today’s “me” watched from across the room as strong emotion coursed through my seven-year-old self. Then, after the other children had departed, I sat on the couch and waited for my younger self to become aware of me. Her reaction when she noticed me was shyness, but when I beckoned her to the couch, she joined me.
Then we had a heart-to-heart talk. She listened intently while I told her that her beliefs, beliefs she just may have brought into this life with her, shaped that event. And I told her those beliefs didn’t particularly hold any power over her; it was only her belief in their power that did. I told her she was quite capable of altering that event by consciously choosing another probability to experience.
Then I told her I was her future self, and I talked about some of the more special things we’d accomplished in our life, and that we had two fine children and a loving mate and a nice home. She smiled. She was starting to grasp that life didn’t end with that latest painful event, that it continued and indeed offered some choice morsels of love, security and happiness.
Then we laid a plan. She would create an instant replay of that event, but this time the ending would change—because she would change. She’d still live off the alley over a garage, but she’d be proud of it. She’d be proud of what her parents had been able to accomplish given their circumstances. She’d be pleased that they had moved her into a town where she could learn so much, such as how prosperous people acted and dressed and talked, and how they seemed to assume they had a right to the good things in life. And she would assume she had those same rights, because certainly she did.
So, here come the kids trooping up the creaky stairs once again. She hears them and, with anticipation in her step, reaches the door at the same time as they do. She greets them happily and asks them to come in. Her new friends from school thought enough of her to come for a visit, and she’s thrilled. Her home is not an issue with them because it isn’t with her. They talk awhile, and then the children head home, glad to have spent time with the new girl in town.
As soon as they leave, she and I whoop for joy. We’ve done it! We’ve changed the past by changing probabilities by changing our beliefs. And now the frosting on the cake: in walks OUR future self. She’s laughing and full of congratulations. We all sit down and talk. She tells us what’s happening in her life, about her home and career, about her happiness and how our changing made it all possible. We, her past selves, sit there, excited with the picture she paints of our future, because it is indeed wonderful.
I did this Psy-Time exercise over a period of a few weeks. It was never the same in that it took on its own character each time, but the result was always a feeling of freedom from limiting beliefs and a wide-open future just waiting to be experienced.
How do I know I altered the past? At first I wasn’t sure. Not that it mattered, particularly, because I sensed movement and change within myself. But then during a seminar Stan and I were conducting, someone asked me that question.
Almost instantly I had my answer, because the new ending to the event immediately flashed into my mind, remembered BEFORE the original one. My first reaction to the question was one of ease with the outcome. And then I knew that, in my field of probabilities, I had given it more strength, more intensity than the original ending. The other one was still there, but now it was merely dress rehearsal to the grand opening night. …………………………………………………………………
Excerpt from Ten Thousand Whispers: A Guide to Conscious Creation, Chapter 8: Time Sculpting

6 Likes

Thank you very much for the good information about this particular topic Chris, The simultaneous time is tricky to catch all the way. And thank you to anon38262219 likewise.
B & B, Inger Lise

Thank you Cindy. Appreciating it very much indeed.
It is a long time since looking into the book.
I have newly ordered the 4th book of Living a Safe Universe by Lyndas`
A side Note:
While sitting here noticed a occurence alongside with my reply to you.
It is about visiting my user profile and uploading a picture…Hm, I am a computer dummy (still) when it comes to uploading pictures…Do not know how to do it at all ! Well, next time asking my one teenage granddaughter in how to do it perhaps ? I am after all from another dimension (71 years old)…the other me as a parallel one, a fragment gestalt ?:innocent: Smile.
LOL, Inger Lise

1 Like

Hi All,
Someone in this thread asked the following interesting question which arose in my mind as well : “With this exercise are we changing our memory of the past, or are we actually changing the past, or both?”

The instructions Seth gives on changing the past contains this quote:

“Pretend a particular event happened that greatly disturbed you. In your mind imagine it not simply wiped out, but replaced by another event of more beneficial nature. Now this must be done with great vividness and emotional validity, and many times. It is not a self-deception. The event that you choose will automatically be a probable event, which did in fact happen, though it is not the event you chose to perceive in your given probable past.”

So there you are! :smile:

HI Emilie,

I think any technique is fine, as long as it suits the person. I enjoy writing, and I use it lot to make things clear in myself, and to memorize important events, so for me it feels natural to write a whole new script for a replacing past event, which can of course be altered as I continue the process. I prefer a written script over having to concentrate, as I am easily distracted.

Katja

1 Like

For the interested I will write down my own response:

Between lives…(the answer)

“The reincarnational structure is a psychological one. It cannot be understood in any other terms.” (etc.)

“The reality, the validity, the immediacy of those lives do exist simultaneously with your present life.” (Now here it comes):

The psychological distance, however, can be far more vast.”

Seth Speaks, Session 595

And this is what, I guess, the “ in between lives” principle, which has a rather linear ring to it, in fact witholds. The lapse is on a psychological level. Why didn’t I think of that!? It is so obvious!:wink:

Very old thread I know, but has anyone tried to change an actual event that changes one’s life in a more dramatic fashion? as in, you got the job you were turned down for and end up living a completely different life? Thanks in advance for any responses!

This old thread’s title is “changing the past in your mind”, but it seems to intend to change the past you believe it happened, which seems a slightly different endeavor.

Someone might think about changing an event or a choice in their past with the intention of getting to a better present. This means that the person believes that there is actually a cause-effect relation, which Seth said there isn’t. It also means that there is a belief that by doing that change in the past the present would follow as desired, and that’s a big assumption.

I believe that if one succeeds into changing the past, they wouldn’t be aware that they did it. This opens the possibility that the current situation is already the undesired result of such a change, because maybe the alternative wasn’t favorable.

Bottom line, I believe that a person who wants to change the past, actually wants to change the present, and not the whole chain of events from that point in the past until now.

So, I would suggest to focus on changing the present. It is safer, and more doable.

The way I believe this concept of spacious present works is that you create a reality now (hopefully as you desire it to be, but definitely as you expect it to be), and this will actually ripple changes on all the dimensions of the multidimensional physical time, including changing what apparently happened in the past, to create the appearance of cause-effect.