From Seth Speaks Changing the Past in Your Mind

There are some past events that have had negative consequences in my life and of members of my family. I am going to use the techniques given by Seth to change the events.

I would be interest to know if anyone has used this technique and can give me some feedback.

Thank you.

Emilie

3 Likes

Seth says this is doable but you must do this many times in order to create it.

I tried earlier to do so but it didn’t take. When I reread Seth’s comment to do so many times, I have done so. I find that it has been more of a gradual shift over a period of a few years so that, now, the past (a horrible childhood in several ways) is different to me. I did have to deal with emotional/belief issues as part of this process. I don’t think you can usually just ‘paper over’ the past. Those specific memories existed for a reason.

That’s my take on it and how it’s worked, thus far, for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have indeed had this technique work for me on multiple occasions. It is not that I have necessarily forgotten the “old” past, but it takes significant digging, and the original emotional strength tied to it is gone (completely or near-so). The “default” memory that comes to mind is the positive one. Or just none at all. The technique has definitely worked for me to completely deflate “past” events. They are now “ho hum, uninteresting” the times I do remember the “original”.

Some times I will additionally also give myself the suggestion that I forget the “original” past event. This works quite well. (I could dig it up again with sufficient thought association, but the events really aren’t interesting enough anymore to do so, having lost their impact.)

Speaking at least to the extent of my experience, I’ve found it easy to accept that this is possible on the fact that I have witnessed numerous times the distortive powers of emotion. Emotion can make an event something that would not otherwise be. I will give a hopefully not too controversial example. Seth says “if you expect an event to be sad, then it will be”. As a teenager our family dog died, and at first (a few hours?) I was sad. Then I remembered this quote from Seth, and I thought long and deep about whether I was sad because I expected to be, or because it was legitimate to be. Now of course sadness is a natural human emotion like many others, all which have their own legitimacy and should be acknowledged and expressed. Having done so though, they tend to transform. They are also the effect of belief and thought, always.

It occurred to me that the present reality of the time was that my dog was having an absolutely brilliant time in whatever afterlife he was now a part of, and that is an extremely positive event. Yes I could dwell on his absence, but Seth teaches us to dwell on what we desire. I conducted an experiment with myself to see how short the stage of grief might legitimately be for my scenario in the absence of the belief that to grief for such and such a period was the “correct” and/or socially acceptable thing to do - to clarify, I’m not referring to fake grief, but to real grief perpetuated beyond its natural course by societal beliefs. I discovered, at least in my scenario, that the stage of grief was rather incredibly short (indeed short enough that it would appear unacceptable by onlookers). Since then I have had a similar response to other “tragedies”. You might actually say a non-response or complete absence of grief. I should point out that in basically all of these I would say I was prepared quite well in advance psychically (even as others were shocked) and had fully accepted the eventuality and was actually even quite looking forward to the freedom that I knew the individual or pet in question was simultaneously looking forward to.

I also think about it in other terms as well. If everyone who remembered an event had their memory of that event altered, would not the event be different? Now I can hear talk of surveillance cameras and microphones but these cannot pick up on the energy and feel of an event, and even themselves are so extraordinarily limited. Watching someone point a gun at another and an emotional experience of terror and a gun being pointed and an emotional experience of fun play-acting make an entirely different event, no matter how convincing the actors.

It’s well known that our own memory is incredibly fluid, a hundred people will have vastly different eye-witness testimony, this is demonstrated time and again in college law classrooms. It has also been revealed that while a memory is being recalled it is in fact “decoded” you might say, and once it is done being recalled it is once again restored. That is to say, it is not accessed from an unchanging bank of memory in the brain, but actually modified and re-written. (Selective long-term memory erasure seems to be possible in mice by inducing the recall of that particular memory, and then inhibiting a particular enzyme that aids in its reconsolidation, it spawned a lot of articles about the concept in humans such as this one.)

If everyone already remembers a different event than your own, why can’t you yourself remember a different event than your own? Who says that their memory, or the new memory, is not just as valid? Although I can “think of” the “old” past memory with some effort, I can do the same thing with an entirely fabricated “memory”, so who’s to say the “old” memory isn’t equally fabricated, as time is equally an illusion?

Having been educated in the mental realm that time is simultaneous (Seth), and having been educated in the realm of quantum physics that time is simultaneous (Einstein’s theory of relativity), then whatever a camera might be able to capture is surely its own illusion.

6 Likes

Hi Emilie,

I had great success with changing my past when it came to events that I put my mother through when I was younger. The 1st class where Seth mentioned being able to change our past, and asked us to try it if we wanted to, I immediately thought of my mom. I worked on my beliefs and told myself that I could do it, later during the week a classmate came over to my house and while we where having dinner he mentioned something about one of my troublesome adventures, and my mom looked at him and said something like what do you mean Lawrence was always a good boy. I felt great and from that point on my relationship with mom improved.So go for it, this stuff really does work.

6 Likes

Really interesting stories @Christopher and @Lawrence, there’s a few memories I want to try this on!

I read about this and it bothered me at the time. If memories can be chemically modified then what does this say about the relation of memory to consciousness and the mind / body connection, having memories without a physical brain, etc? It seems like bit of a win for the materialists to me.

1 Like

I can relate. However although there is a physical correspondence to the mental apparatuses it at least doesn’t change which one comes first, creates and influences the other. :wink:

3 Likes

If you think about the spacious present and that we create our past and future form it, Maybe this works by your creation of a more desirable past and the person you want to see that past differently picks up on the suggested change telepathically and either agrees or not. This is off of the top of my head and I will have to look it up in my transcripts and notes.

2 Likes

Excellent sharing @chris! You don’t ef around with these ideas, lol! You really put them into practice!

How far can we take this? Can you remove a scar on your body by changing the event in the past? Would the scar go away or would you just forget how you got it? Or would a probable reality be spun off where the event didn’t happen and you didn’t get the scar? If the “probable reality” scenario is the case, what would be the point? How would it benefit you, in this reality?

1 Like

From what I recall of the “York Beach fragments” incident, Seth said that if they hadn’t rejected that particular probability (spontaneously dancing and kicking in the fragments faces both literally and metaphorically) Rob and Jane would have “become” them, and left the room as those selves - a single pair. Instead they danced and as they left the fragments faded, being unable to leave the room. But this is getting really deep, again going beyond my understanding.

2 Likes

Probability stuff is mind-blowing…

Seth talks about a probable self being created (taking a different path in life) and then probabilities coming together. I don’t understand how this works. No doubt the personality created is inviolate so what is happening, here? Alas, Seth did not go into specifics in the time available to him…

1 Like

Hi anon38262219,

I think maybe it’s how we go about it. Do we rewrite the past in a notebook? Do we meditate and replace the unfortunate event by another?

This is the question.

Great reply and explanation Chris.

My brother, sister and I have lived the same experiences with our parents and yet our memories of the events are completely differents. My brother said jokingly to me you must have been in an alternate reality!

I really want to change these events and not remember them afterwards. I believe it’s possible because it means I would just change realities or become that probable self who didn’t experience those traumatic experiences.

I love what you said above Chris. It’s mind blowing :wink:

3 Likes

Wow Lawrence. It’s amazing what you did for your mom. I love it.

I doubt you can forget it–it is a part of being but one which you wish to reorder in your being. I can recall horrible memories, now, that feel like another person’s life–so in a detached fashion.

If you are ready to let go of the memories (important!), then use your concentration in ways suited to you. The most emotional/intense mental reworking is the most powerful so the more you can throw yourself into it, the better.

Concentrate many times on tuning into different probable outcomes with different endings than the ones you know–visualization, emotional work, writing, drawing–whatever.

2 Likes

In formal hypnosis, the hypnotist and the subject play a game. If the hypnotist orders the subject to forget what happened, that individual will pretend to do so. In that context both hold the belief in the resulting forgetfulness, and it is the power of belief that is being demonstrated. But instead this is taken as an indication that the conscious mind is helpless under such conditions, generally speaking, and this is not the case.

Session 658, Chapter 15, The Nature of Personal Reality

Although it might be a “pretend” forgetfulness I think the result might be the same and equally practical. Forgotten until you make a focused effort to “remember” perhaps. (Although as I said above the memory of the event can be no more valid than another, so why not forget.) Anyway at least no longer intrusive. :wink: I generally only give myself the suggestion to completely forget once I’ve already drastically deflated its associated emotions using the Seth event replacement technique we’re talking about. I also consider it important that it’s a suggestion, if the personality feels there ought to be more done by the conscious mind in the case it may reject the “suggestion”. Although as Seth has stated it’s perfectly practical to trust the other layers of the self and turn something over to them, to be worked out in dreams, etc., and good technique.

Here is a link to the exercise we’ve been talking about, and I’ve edited Emilie’s original post to link to it as well.

3 Likes

Thanks Chris. I was just about to paste the part about Jane and the three different episodes with the priest.

Thanks for the tips anon38262219.

Thanks Emilie, I have not had a chance to look up the class material but I will get to it soon. Peace.

1 Like

This topic has been inactive for a long time, but I am very interested in changing a memory from my past and was wondering if anyone who has been successful with this could tell me: Is it ok if the “new” memory is not very detailed? The image of the original memory I would like to replace is not very detailed, and I have been imagining the new memory to look the same way. I’m guessing what’s important here is the belief in the new memory and aligning with the vibration of having the new past, rather than having a very detailed memory.

2 Likes

The question is: Are you changing your memory of the past, or are you actually changing the past, or both?

Yes, that would be okay. Whatever your preference, whatever feels best.