Seth search engine

Hello,

The search is amazing!
I just humbly want to ask if you may share the core for search engine? (github).
I don’t know if “importing” different books into database will be easy, but I have thousand of books (epub, markdowns) and I see huge benefit of your search for me and for many people. :pray:t2:
Now we have so much information, but poor search. Your work is already hugely beneficial.
Please consider this.

1 Like

Already on GitHub my friend. I guess I forgot to link it here?

Helpful description:

Actually I have a channel for the document engine on my Discord if you want to join!

If you stay tuned I will publish some more recent changes to the GitHub, as it’s not quite current. I’ll also be cleaning up the code base a bit.

1 Like

Great! Yes the link was missing here. I cannot find your full name to search the Github.
I will test the current version, and subscribe in Github for new releases.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Chris and anyone else.

I love the search engine, but the new one has a disconcerting feature. It is impossible to overlook the coloured words, and the green and red are too dark.

Colour has the effect of your eyes being drawn to them, and reading the rest of the sentence becomes an unnecessary effort, a task. Hard work.

If there has to be colours, then a very pale version would be better, imo – it wouldn’t ‘capture’ your attention so much. :slight_smile:

Pastels, pink, yellow, power blue, would work, but I have no problem with the existing colors…ron.

I don’t intend to belabour the point, but how is this supposed to be helpfull?

It isn’t. Some things take time and effort to make not behave a certain way. Software is never done, I thought 410 hours was enough for the first edition.

Changes

2022-03-08

1. “stopwords” no longer highlighted unless adjacent to non-stopwords

(Dev time: 2 hours.)

Fair enough. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you for the search engine!

It is an invaluable tool. It allows approaching the Seth material from a concepts and ideas perspective, instead of the regular approach of reading everything, skipping and forgetting, occasionally getting bored or distracted. Most concepts are spread all over the material, so it would be impossible to browse for them the whole body of work.

Searching for a concept, browsing the results, iteratively tweaking the search query, allows to get a better understanding, and if one needs more context, he knows where to dig for it.

As it is designed with the Seth student’s needs in mind, this engine is much more useful than a regular google search through the material would be.

Thank you for sharing it.

Seth must be thankful to you too!

1 Like

Hi. I am trying to find the spot where Seth said The Seth Material was meant to be read before Seth Speaks. So I searched for “Seth Material” (in quotes) and the search engine returns every time the word Seth appears and the word Material, even though I used the quotes. How can I get the engine to only return places where “Seth material” is used? (and NOT “Seth’s Material”)

Thanks!!

1 Like

The search engine ignores apostrophes, so they are the same. :man_shrugging: “Seth material” is indeed the search you want. "seth material" - “Seth material” search engine (Jane Roberts) And it will rank excerpts containing the complete phrase “Seth material” highest. You can get a little more precise with exact: as in exact:"seth material" - “Seth material” search engine (Jane Roberts) to only find “material” and not “materials”, “materialization”, etc. Although the top results should be the same with both searches, i.e. those with the phrase “seth material”.

(The following material is from the 667th session for May 30, 1973.

(Before the session I’d asked Jane if Seth could comment upon the reported drop in sales of Seth Speaks recently as reported by Tam Mossman at Prentice-Hall. I wanted to know if our own attitudes had anything to do with this.

(11:41.) Now—In answer to your question: of course you are both involved. You wanted time to figure out how you would handle the situation if sales continued as they began. The visitors, the letters, and the overall implications.

There were other reasons, in that the paperback Seth Material is meant to be read first, and lead readers into Seth Speaks. Overall the phenomena follows quite natural psychic laws. When the ESP book is reprinted (Jane heard about this from F. Fell this week), readers will largely be already acquainted with my work, and bring that extra knowledge to that early book (smile), hence enriching its potentials for them."

—TPS2 Session 667 (Deleted Portion) May 30, 1973

Formatting this from the search engine was tiring… I need to add a feature to copy it with formatting.

1 Like

Maybe:

https://nowdictation.com/q/‘seth+material’/ 467 results

https://nowdictation.com/q/exact:‘seth+material’/ 342 results

https://nowdictation.com/q/‘seth+material’+NOT+exact:‘seth+material’/ 125 results

Hi Chris, the search page you built is so awesome and very helpful, do you have any plans on supporting foreign language searches with the content that had already been translated into other languages or incorporate instant translation with some translation API like Chat GPT? Just thought it would be an interesting feature to have. I am a programmer too, happy to collaborate if this is something you’re interested in. Many thanks!

I wonder how people (the community) would feel about a Seth GPT? And would there be any copyright issues? @Christopher, curious if you had to work through any rights issues with the estate or publisher? It would be interesting to explore Seth’s teachings in a conversation format.

True (the perhaps inevitable). I had hoped it wasn’t too cliche of a suggestion. I have been exploring the idea with a colleague who also has been an avid student of Seth’s and we both of course wanted to be both respectful of Seth but also to all the work everyone has done to share Seth’s (and Jane’s and Robert’s as well as the community’s) work. I am new to the community but not new to Jane Roberts’ story and Seth’s teachings. And having explored both the limits and profound powers of the GPT learning model. I know I personally would love to interact with Seth and Seth’s words and create an opportunity for even more people can interact with a version of Seth with a contextual response to questions posed in our own words and from the belief system we hold at the time.

And of course it would be amazing to use the additional sessions and conversations to train the model in the context of conversations in addition to all of the the Seth Material. And yes… I dream of one day going to the Sterling Library to research and read, in addition to any of Jane’s work and thoughts but of Robert’s as well of course. It would, in addition to the cooperation of the community to test it out and correct it… you are right, this opens up an amazing discussion about information, knowledge and the embodiment of experiences and expansion of consciousness.

@Christopher I don’t mean take away from your work and perhaps we should bump this to a different thread or platform (I appreciate if someone let’s me know the etiquette here). This would be a different type of exploration of Seth’s teachings, a Seth GPT. I appreciate the nod of approval from Team Seth for this experiment and I offer resources and the means to put it in motion… with of course anyone who is interested (@Sky ?) as well as proper permissions from Rick Stack and/or Laurel.

I would appreciate an introduction to Rick… or suggested best pathway (I see him on LinkedIn). Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to exploring Seth’s words more with the community.

1 Like

It’s not not cliche. :sweat_smile: I’ve been studying and following machine learning since support-vector machines were the hotness. Now I am receiving emails. As always, progress in this area, in a way that doesn’t needlessly fracture communities, is about people, and thought climates, not technology. The technology is easy (for us).

I very carefully put forms of copyright protection into this search engine, because I respect Laurel, and I respect the people who respect Laurel. I didn’t (don’t) want to be the eager youth who rushes ahead thinking “This material is too important for the law! It’s above the law!”. I have seen, followed, and learned from those cases too: Napster, The Pirate Bay, etc.

I don’t necessarily disagree with e.g. Cory Doctorow, but my movements are measured. When I can take us somewhere together, I do. When I can’t… well I’d probably have never shared the search engine if Laurel hadn’t approved, so we’re very thankful she does. I kept her rights in mind building it.

Ends can’t justify means. Because what’s an “end” and what’s a “means” are subjective. Rushing ahead (by someone willing, not me) might put a bitter taste in many people’s mouths, and I question whether that’s to everyone’s benefit, or ultimately more harmful. It’s often done by those who don’t perceive social energies, but consider things very mechanically.

I continue to watch OpenAI, and DeepMind, and sentdex, and Two Minute Papers. Very shortly your question might be obsolete anyway. Will we overcome the context length problem? Maybe never. Or maybe in a year. Maybe tomorrow. It might be as simple as copying and pasting any page (this already), chapter (too large), book (much too large), into a general site shortly.

Patience for now. :heart: Let’s be patient. I love to teach. I understand neural networks much better than the average person. I could communicate what I know in terms our community could generally understand, but let’s keep our intuition sharp instead. No point in teaching how to build wooden airliners… when metal replaces them in a year.

Edit: Just checked if the email was from you, it was! I drafted you a reply, but was interrupted. I’m glad you asked here, since this is better. :+1:

Actually here’s how far I got drafting a reply to your email, though it repeats what I just wrote:

Technology or the necessary experience with ML is not the relevant factor (at least not for me), community and social intelligence is. Sentiment of the copyright owner, compliance with law not because it’s justified (it may be, but often isn’t), but because of the collectives that believe it is, with which we intermingle. All of their sentiment, in addition to Laurel’s. The group consciousness. Some people insist on “progress” at the expense of the progenitors, particularly with a belief that they are “preventing its potential” saying, “the material belongs to everyone, it was dictated for everyone”. True, but also false. I move delicately not out of fear, but because it is simply unnecessary.

What I’ve written earlier in this post is a better explanation than what I’ve quoted here though, honestly.

I never saw this, sorry about that. Yes definitely. We will get there for sure.
Although again, browsers might simply have much better built-in translation tools soon? They would certainly function better though, with supplementary context (the entire published works). Choosing the correct word would be much simpler.

1 Like

Everybody has access to their inner guide, a Seth like teacher-entity. It requires practice. Once you establish a working connection, your inner guide will directly guide you according to your needs. He guides you anyway all the time, but your conscious awake-self is probably mostly unaware.

A Seth-AI wouldn’t work, and most likely would distance you from Seth’s teachings.

An AI lacks the intuition needed to extract from the Seth material the meanings appropriate for your current needs. You can see this phenomenon happening with human Seth-teachers too. They can tell you their interpretation of the Seth material, but that is inherently a distortion.

1 Like

I certainly would approach this with eyes wide open and meet the technology for what it is. Having said that… as a language model, the GPT interacts with the individual where they are at and can learn the language with an endlessly patient source (even though the GPT will react as Seth would and respond with prompts like “prove it” will be met with, “that’s not my job here”)

As you say… your inner guide will be your guide. And thanks to Seth, I have embraced that advice (which ironically has led me to this very discussion and pursuit). However, like Seth, there have been many guides along this path that I would thank… and many I know intimately through books and meditating how they see the world… whether that makes sense to me… who ultimately decides this/my belief system. And I believe, because I understand the machine learning limitations and its abilities, that there is value in exploring Seth’s words “‘I do not have a physical body, yet I am writing this book”. And this project would, still without a body, share the words, share his knowledge, respectfully of course.

And absolutely agree, the GPT model doesn’t (yet) have intuition. As intuition is connected to feeling, GPT has emphatically reminded me that it does not have feelings. So again, I have am not dazzled by this shiny new technology but I respect what it is, for when it is. And we need, some of us need, to explore this and teach it like a child conscious. That it should be taught a Sethian understanding of the universe to balance the bias and distortions (even as we all distort information to fit our belief system) being taught to it now.

1 Like